Read My Bill
Your electric bill contains information that you can use. The following explanation will help you understand your electric bill. If you have any further questions, please call Member Services at 1-800-352-0014. Check the large blue numbers on the example here with the corresponding explanations below. Match the number and definition below to the numbered areas on the sample bill shown. The definitions will also be listed on the back of each bill for your convenience.
1) Billing Date - the date the bill was prepared.
2) Service Address - the location of service, usually the 911 address.
3) Basic Charge - includes charges for Generation, Transmission and Distribution.
4) Generation Charge - a basic charge applied to every member's bill for the generation of electricity.
5) Transmission Charge - a basic charge for transporting electricity from the source to the distribution company.
6) Distribution Charge - a basic charge applied to every member's bill for delivering electricity from the distribution company (Northwestern REC) to your home or business. This charge will vary depending on the amount of electricity you use.
7) Cost of Service - this reflects the fixed costs of providing distribution service to your home or business. It is not affected by the amount of electricity used.
8) Meter Reading Information - this shows the present and previous reading, kWhs used, dates, total yearly kWhs used and monthly average for the last 12 months.
9) Total Amount Due By- this is the due date for the current bill.
10) Non-Basic Charges - these vary according to each member and include charges for outdoor lighting, Operation Round Up and late fees.
11) & 12) Total Amount - this is the total amount due. A budget bill will show the budget amount due.